Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Heather Ann Chapman

It has been about a month now since Heather passed away. It is sort of weird not having her here anymore and life has changed a lot for Scott and his kids. As a family, we really miss her. However, we are all happy that she is no longer suffering and we all know that she is much happier now. It is that knowledge that makes the whole grieving process a little easier. I have so much to say about my experiences with Heather while I was in California, but rather than tell all about it, I will just say... I am grateful that I was able to see/visit Heather for the last week of her life, be there when she passed, help dress her body, and be there for the funeral. I could not have planned my California trip better. I am also glad that Nate was able to make it for the funeral as well. I have to mention how awesome Scott and Heather's ward is. They had women coming in every day for the last week to bathe the kids and get them to bed, and another to sleep with Heather during the night so Scott could get some rest. And as soon as Heather passed, TONS of food was brought over for the family. They were also SO helpful at the funeral in serving food at the luncheon. Really, that ward is amazing.

Heather's funeral was beautiful. Her siblings spoke and they all did a really good job and they all had great stories to tell about Heather. Heather had great qualities about her and I think it was a good reminder for everyone to hear them at the funeral since she hadn't really been herself for a little while. But Heather was kind, funny, smart, shy, loving, righteous, beautiful, tall, creative, hard-working, a great mother, wife, sister, aunt, and daughter, very welcoming, a beautiful pianist, and so many more things. Here are some pictures from the funeral...

Part of the display at the funeral...
The Chapel...
Scott and his kids at the viewing...
Me and my big brother at the luncheon...
Me and Nate at the cemetery...
Heather was buried two plots away from my Grandma Ruth...
Hannah and Aaron at the cemetery...
Heather's parents. These two were there helping Heather since Day 1. I can't even begin to describe the huge help they were to Heather and Scott during this whole process. Even now, they are still helping take care of the kids during the day while Scott goes to work. Scott could not have asked for better in-laws.
Scott and my dad...
Scott, Hannah, and Aaron.

Heather, I love you and I miss you.

3 comments:

Wendy and Neal said...

What an emotional post! Having a child of my own (now) really makes me feel so differently about life and the here after. I am just so relieved for your family, that your brother has such a strong community of love and support around him, as do the rest of you. Thanks for sharing all of that. I didn't know Heather, but I feel like I can be a better person and live a better life after reading about her. There's no excuse for not making the most of the time I'm gifted with here. Thanks!

cherise and Tristan said...

and it goes the other way too Kelly. Heather had really good in laws who loved her like she was their own and helped take good care of her too. Thanks!

Valerie said...

Thanks for posting those pictures. I didn't get to be there for the funeral, so I'm glad I got to see some pictures of what it was like. Everything was beautiful. What a good celebration of a good life and a good person.