Sunday, July 10, 2011

Our 4th, 2011

I LOVE the 4th of July holiday. In fact, I love all the summer patriotic holidays (Memorial Day, 4th, and Labor Day). They are days to celebrate our country, our freedoms, and those who have sacrificed and are still sacrificing their lives for our sakes. The OTHER reason I love those holidays is because it is my family's tradition to go to the park, play over-the-line softball, and have a swim/bbq/ping-pong extravaganza at our house and on the 4th it is followed by fireworks. But since I have lived so far away, I have missed way too many of these traditions with my family. But this year, we finally decided that just because we lived so far away, we didn't have to miss out on these traditions. Instead, we brought them to the good ol' IL.

My fabulous husband made my day by arranging a OTL softball game with some of our ward member's. We had a GREAT turnout!


The fielders....
Levi, batting it up
Part of my team...
The Dellster...
Maddie was an awesome Rubysitter...
And Ruby was a tired girl... and it was HOT!
We had SO much fun playing OTL and I think everyone had a pretty good time. It's good to find a sport that families (men, women, and children) can all be involved in. Maybe it can be a new tradition for the good old Elgin 1st ward.

After softball, we went home to make a cake and then headed over to one of our favorite family's house, the Willerth's, for a swim/BBQ!

Lyla getting ready to get her swim on...
Della and Ruby...
Diana and Lyla...
Oddly enough, Della and I have the same swimsuit. I like to think it means that I am fashionable :)
Cute Emma and Pete joined the party too...
Trying to get Nate to pose like we're going to prom...
Dean and Diane making fun of how I wanted to take the picture...
Rub loved the water and was chillin' like a villan...
I love my two girls!!
Lyla was NOT very comfortable in the water at fist. But after a few hours into the day she definitely warmed up playing Motor Boat with her dad.
Such a happy girl...
Lyla was helping to throw sticks into the fire with her Grandma Willerth.
Diana and her friend Wojtek...
Drake and his girlfriend Carrie...
Del and Lyla...
Diane and Diana with Diane's new BEAUTIFUL spice rack!! Can you believe that thing!?! A definite improvement from a lazy susan cabinet.
Later we headed to the Curtis/McQuay home to watch the Sleepy Hollow fireworks...
Ly loved watching fireworks with Diane and playing with the sparklers...
Love these girls!
Seriously, this was one of the best 4th of July's I have had in a long time. From OTL softball to spending time with a family we consider ourselves to be a part of (whether they like it or not :) ), I would not have spent it any other way. We love these guys and our ward and we will miss every single bit of it.

Hope your 4th was happy :)

1 comment:

Tasha said...

Oh my goodness I just love you! I love the picture of you with the other girl in the same swimsuit- that face is totally one your oldest makes! So cute. Looks like you guys had a great time. 4th of July is such a great holiday- I agree! Miss you and think of you often!