Sunday, April 4, 2010

A great first half of Conference

I loved Conference today. I watched it with my mom, step-brother Rhett, and parts of it with Lyla. I felt like there were so many talks that spoke directly to me.

Sister Beck totally nailed me in the head in saying we women shouldn't be babies who feel the need to be stroked with love and affection all the time and she basically said we need to step-up and take charge and that we shouldn't feel "entitled" to breaks, because of all our hard work as mothers. It was such a gentle and friendly reminder that I am a mother and I have responsibilities and obligations that I have and it is in my nature to nurture my children. At least that is most of what I got out of that talk. Others could have perceived it differently :)

Anyway, the real reason for this post was because I absolutely LOVED Elder M. Russell Ballard's talk about mother's and daughter's... I was able to listen to that talk with my mom and Lyla, all together in the same room, which was an awesome experience. There were so many things said in that talk that were such tender moments for me. It really put things into perspective for me that the person I show that I am is who Lyla will become. She'll mirror my actions. She will be like me. This puts a lot of pressure on any mom, but I think the reward, if you do things right, is beyond description. I just feel so blessed that I get to have this mother/daughter relationship. And really, even at this point in my life, I feel like Lyla and I are already so close. We are just great buddies and we do have this special bond that really can only be between a mother and daughter. So, I am grateful for that. And I am grateful that I was able to listen to that talk with my mom. Even though she was physically unable to do a lot for me as I was growing up, I still am a lot like her and I feel like that is a great honor because she is a great woman.

Anyway, I love having a daughter and I hope I get to have more of them. I'll welcome sons, too :)

That's all for the blog. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Tasha said...

KElly! I loved those talks as well. I took that from Sister Beck's too. I also looked at it as so many women I know complain all day when their husbands are at work providing and want someone to comfort them as soon as they get home- and be coo'ed over. When both roles are hard- but that's the way it was intended to be. Our generation is so much more complainy then our parents/grandparents. I am grateful for this talk and so many more! You are such a cute mommy! Keep up the good work =)