Thursday, December 9, 2010

Happy Birthday Mom!!!

This post is dedicated to my wonderful mother on her birthday

I can't even begin to explain how much I love and care for my mom. I think most daughter's can probably say a statement like that. But I don't think many daughter's have grown to love their mom in the ways that I have. I don't know where to begin, so I guess I'll start somewhere.

My mom has been my best friend my whole life... even in times when I didn't know it. To be honest, I don't remember too much from growing up, but I know that she always took really good care of me and my brother's. She always made me really yummy food (her hash browns were the best!) and took me to run errands with her like I was her little buddy. I even got to watch her play some wicked tennis and I've heard she was a fantastic skier. She was a champ people! In fact, my mother-in-law remembers taking an aerobics class that my mom taught! Crazy!

When I was 2 years old, my mom was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. She was going through a lot at that time in her life and she knew that she would more than likely end up in a wheelchair in the years to come. I cannot imagine how I would feel getting that diagnosis when I still had young children to raise. But she did. And you know what? She has handled everything like a champ.

I love this photo of me and my mom. She looks so BEAUTIFUL!! (Don't mind my forehead:))

My mom and I are almost identical. We are both SO stubborn :) We have the exact same facial expressions. Nate will often say to me when I make a face "Oh my gosh, that is your mom's face! You are your mother!" We both worry about things way too much (but it's out of love, I swear!). We are very social. We typically like things to be done a certain way. We both LOVED the beach growing up. And heck, we even look alike! Except I didn't get her rocking 5'9 body with beautiful long, skinny legs. What's up with that?

Starting in junior high, and through my first 3 years of high school my mom and I began to butt heads (but what teenage daughter doesn't butt heads with their mom?). I think it's because we are just so much alike. And probably because I was a BRAT. But even during this time where there were moments we didn't get along, this was also the time where we grew the closest. I was able to help her in ways that most daughter's don't have to. I think having to help her physically every day helped us to get through our disagreements and make up pretty quickly afterwards. Seriously, service fixes feuds like that in a jiffy!

It wasn't just helping my mom that helped us to be close. Every single day after school I would come home and lay on her bed and we would just talk. We talked about my day, about her day, about boys, then I would take a nap, then she would wake me up for Oprah, and then her physical therapy friends would come over and we'd all chat, and sometimes I'd fall asleep again or I'd go do something else. I'm sure there were days where she probably wished she could walk away and not listen to my lame drama that I probably brought to her, but she didn't let me know it. We kept this habit up all the way up until the time that I moved to Utah. That time with my mom is something I will cherish forever. It meant so much to me knowing that she would always be there waiting for me to talk to when I got home.

I will also be forever in debt to my mom for pretty much hooking me up with Nate. He was visiting her ward and she sent him over to the singles ward where I was at with directions to the building, my number "in case he got lost", and with the encouraging thought "Kelly would LOVE to see you!". She also had mentioned this to his sister previously and so Nate had come to town with that already in mind. I'll spare the details and just say the rest is history!

My mom and I on my wedding day. She looked so pretty!

After I moved out of the house, I really missed my mom. I didn't think I would, but I missed helping her on a daily basis. I missed our daily chats. Thank heavens for phones and for the sweet women who would sit and hold the phone for her so we could talk.

This picture cracks me up!
4 Generations: Louise Larsen, Dana King, Kelly Wright, Lyla Wright.

Despite her situation, my mom is such an awesome person. She has the best attitude of anyone I know or have heard of who is in a situation like hers. She is a friend to hundreds of people. She has the best friends who serve her every day to make sure she is fed, exercised, and visited. She is a favorite Sunday School teacher to all her kids she teaches. She is an inspiration to almost everyone she meets. She has such a strong testimony of the Gospel and her Savior. She has an amazing husband! What can I say... she is just great!

To this day, my mom and I still get to have our chats (even though they aren't every day). We are still SO much alike. We are still the best of friends. She means the world to me and I love her more than she could possibly know.

Mom, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I LOVE YOU!!!!

5 comments:

Michelle Nguyen said...

Love this! I remember when I was really little your mom was always talking about how much she wanted a daughter. Funny I remember that since I must have been like 2. So glad she got you finally! You guys are awesome!

Michael said...

#1- You ain’t lying! You weren't just a brat in High School, you were crazy. Jennifer always says that you permanently scarred me with your craziness in your High School years. I’m so glad that I had mom to help me through those hard times.

#2- I’m hungry for hash browns.

#3- You forgot to mention, when she couldn’t cook for us anymore, she would still cook for us by telling us exactly how to make everything while she sat in her chair in the kitchen.

#4- Happy Birthday Mom.

Tasha said...

I love this post. I think it is so amazing that you were blessed with such a great mom! That makes such a difference in the life of a girl. I bet one day your girls will write the same thing about you! MIss you! =)

abby said...

this was so sweet, kelly. i think your mom's amazing.

Candace said...

What a beautiful tribute! Awesome.