Friday, December 30, 2011

our Christmas and some swing fun...

Well this was our first Christmas that we spent together as a family (without going to visit extended family) and it was awesome! It was so nice having our own schedule, having Santa visit our own house, and to start our own traditions.

Christmas Eve I wanted to be all about the kids. Since Ruby is still pretty young, it really ended up being about Lyla. So we made a couple of ornaments and we painted two snowmen (see below). We played around, set milk and cookies our for Santa, and the girls went right off to bed without complaint! It was awesome!

As soon as the girls were down, we went straight to work. Nate started assembling a swing from Santa...
Once mostly assembled, Nate, Lizzy and I helped put it together outside. (blurry pic, sorry)
While Nate was assembling the swing, Lizzy and I wrapped up all the gifts, while watching Harry Potter.

A funny stories with Lyla before Christmas...

1) Ever since Thanksgiving, Lyla has said that she wanted Santa to bring her a swing. We bought her several other gifts thinking that she would change her mind (like she and most kids usually do) but about 5 days before Christmas, I realized that her answer was still the same and she even told Santa himself! So, in a panic, we ordered a swing that was at an awesome price and took back some of her other big gifts so it could fit within our budget. And this was actually a perfect gift because we really needed some activities to do in our backyard. Phew!

2) One morning before Christmas, Lyla was upstairs and I was down stairs and I hear Lyla screaming out "Mom! Mom, LOOK! Moooom!!" As I am about to head up the stairs, I hear "Look, it's Rapunzel, mom!" We find her walking out of the office (where the Christmas present closet was) holding her new Rapunzel doll with her mouth and eyes wide open! She was sooo excited!! So Nate just quickly grabbed it and put it back and surprisingly, she didn't argue! When she finally opened it on Christmas, she said "It's Rapunzel from upstairs!" It gave us a good laugh :) Anyhoo...

Christmas Morning:

Christmas morning started with Lyla waking up and coming into our bedroom. We told her that today was finally Christmas and asked her if she wanted to see if Santa came. So we got Ruby and guess what?! Santa came!! Here's our Christmas tree with Santa's gifts on the sides (shopping carts and books).

Lyla was so excited to see that Santa ate our cookies and drank up our milk...
And he even left the girls a note!


So, we weren't sure what was in the back yard. Maybe Santa left behind one of his reindeer! Nope! He left the girls a swing!!!
Lyla and Ruby were pretty excited about their shopping carts from Santa...
Despite this picture, Lyla was really excited about her new Toy Story book. Ruby got a Princess book.
I tried getting a picture of the girls with their piles of presents...
I was unsuccessful.
The girls got some fun presents from us and some family. They each got a couple of learning games, fun magnets for the refrigerator (which they LOVE), princess dolls and barbies, books, clothes, a couple movies, and other little things.

Nate got some Duke stuff and a watch...
I didn't get a picture of myself, but Nate got me an e-Reader, which I was SOOO excited about. Unfortunately though, it didn't have the feature that I really wanted it for (to read it in the dark so I could read in bed). So instead, we got me a Duke sweatshirt and today I am getting all the Harry Potter books (something I have been asking for for YEARS!)

After presents, we ate some DELICIOUS caramel rolls!
The girls played with their new toys...

We then all went to church, which was wonderful. And then we came home and started cooking dinner! This is the first ham that I had to prepare... Luckily it was already cooked and I just had to do some artful reheating. :)
Our good friends, the Oakes family, came over for dinner. It was so much fun having good friends that stayed home for Christmas as well. And all of the food was amazing!
The Oakes Family.
And a picture of our little group. PS, isn't Nate's beard awesome? I convinced him to grow it since he doesn't have to shave or impress anyone for a while. This may be one of his only chances to grow it!
We really had an awesome Christmas and we really have loved having Aunt Lizzy here to enjoy it with us. And I am a big fan of having Christmas at our own home with our little family. SO much fun!

And here's a pic of Lyla enjoying her (and Ruby's) new swing set.
I love this picture of Ly and Nate.
Today, Lyla asked to switch the swings into different spots and I said "Maybe Dad can do it later." To which she replied. "Or maybe Santa could do it". Thanks for reminding me that this was a gift from Santa, Lyla!

She mostly likes to swing on her stomach. I think the fact that they are not the bucket/baby swings, she gets a little nervous sitting on her bum. Baby steps.

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas!! Only 360 days til' we get to enjoy the madness again!

4 comments:

Mrs. Hornberger said...

im jealous that you can get a swing set from santa and use it immediately rather then have to wait 5 months for good weather!!!!

Haley said...

I love this post! I love all the details from your Christmas morning. We are so glad we got together for Christmas dinner! It was a delightful end to our day.

Dale Player said...

Ruby is becoming unrecognizeable! She's so cute and I love the pig tails! Glad you had a great Christmas!

Chelsea said...

How fun! I'm glad that you had such a great time.