Monday, November 7, 2011

Thankful Day #7: Twilight (Don't judge me)

Thankful Day #7: The Twilight Saga


Don't judge me. I know this sounds so stupid but hear me out. I had never really been a reader. I thought reading books was sooooo boring and those who read them for fun led really lame lives. I was the student who always read cliff notes rather than the books themselves. Plus, no one in my family ever read for fun (at least from what I remember), so books were hardly a part of my life.

Then, one day at work, all these young girls were ranting and raving about this book that was "Amazing" and they all were like "You HAVE to read this book!". This was before New Moon had come out and before there was a huge media hype over it. Anyway, I randomly decided to head to the bookstore a couple of days after that and saw Twilight and read the first chapter and thought, "This chapter actually kept me interested. Hmm, I guess I'll give it a try ". So, I bought the book and took it home and Nate was really shocked and a little proud that I was actually going to read a book! Anyway, long story short, I really loved Twilight and it completely sucked me in! Yes, a lot of people trash talk the books because of its crappy writing but I don't really care too much about that. It's the story that sucked me in. And what got me the most excited was that I (me, Kelly who does not read books because it is lame but secretly always wanted to be a lover of books) actually got sucked into a book for the first time ever!

And so yes, I do like the whole series but I am most grateful that the books got me into reading a lot of other books that I have also really enjoyed. And right now I am even reading a BIOGRAPHY (I never thought I'd say that) and I am seriously enjoying it. Who am I? What have I done with myself? Thanks Steph Meyer for, you know, writing about hot vampires and such :)

PS: The biography I am reading is called Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand and it is really, really good so far!

1 comment:

Stacy Pettersen said...

Thank you! I feel like all I ever hear is people trashing the books... yes, she is not a great writer, but obviously she's good enough to get people to keep going and goodness sake she thought up a story that people cannot get out of their heads. So she does have some talent!

Just finished Unbroken yesterday... keep going, the ending is great! This guy is still alive at 94 too I think (very fitting title).